Monday, April 21, 2014

Things Quickly Learned as a Parent Gamer

I'm going to the wedding this weekend, but wanted to check in quick with some updates.

The first is that my cross stitch I made as a present looks fabulous. <3 I can't wait to give it to my friends. Plus, this weekend is going to be a blast! Even though we live only an hour from one another, we don't often manage to get our schedules to cross in a way that is conducive to playdate plans.

The second is that I (well, more my controller hog husband...) finished my Banjo Tooie file. While interruptions by the munchkins are par for the course, it bothers him more to have a game unfinished or delayed than it does me... plus, when I asked for a wee bit of assistance, he wasn't so keen to give the controller back. Now he's bogged down into his own gaming pleasure, and will be for some time, and I don't have something "better" to suggest so... 

That leads to point three: he gets frustrated at the screaming and the crying... but he works outside the house all day. I spent the day shuttling the kiddos around, dealing with 80+% of all meltdowns, cleaning up poo from any and all surfaces, and He's frustrated and tired at the end of the day? I still need to work on the projects I'm doing! Just trying to fit in a workout is tiring and frustrating and screaming filled and (dare I say it?) Selfish of Mommy.
And that's really what as a Mom these days we fear - the stigma of being Selfish. Sure, we have things we need to get done like Laundry and Dishes, Cleaning the House, Making Everyone (Else) Happy and Healthy that sometimes we forget to care for ourselves... and if we ever put ourselves first, it's selfish. And yet - and yet! - the need to do something, anything, to care for ourselves so we can love ourselves and be better Mommies is so important that there are webpages, wines, and daycares with the name "Mommy's Time Out." ( ... On that note, I need to try the wine sometime, on that note. I hear it's good, but as I don't get samples or sponsored, I need to find a place in the area to get some <3 )

Maybe it's my "gaming ADD," or maybe it's my kids, or maybe it's that since "growing up" I've found less time for gaming or doing stuff that makes me happy, but I find it hard to pick something and stick with it for long (at least at one time - I nearly always come back it it sooner than later). I sometimes miss being a person instead of an extension of my kids, or a popular and needed but still not quite autonomous member of their entourage. Perhaps it's the Stay at Home factor - as any SAHM will tell you, it's quite a sacrifice to any and all future career prospects for little rest and less time - but the days can be so so soooo long...
While people tell you life will be different, and even some say that with the addition of children life is over, no one can quite prepare you for just How different. You always are thinking about what is best for them, how long can you exercise with a screaming baby in a jumper, how cooked do the hamburgers really need to be, breast or bottle, when solids start... cosleeping vs bedsharing vs crib in another room... and everyone you know and people you don't will have advice, and there is never a worry if they are going to share it (Spoiler Alert: they will!). The latest thing is the new "take your baby out of the car seat right after coming in, even if they are asleep, even if you just got them asleep, because little necks drooping and cutting off airways and -as is always the end warning of these stories - if you don't, your baby will DIE." I'm following it for now, no sense in taking unnecessary chances, but there are also occasions where I'll just unstrap her and leave her in (right next to me)... or I'll sit in the car until Peanut gets tired and the super-wiggles and is tempted to or accomplishes waking BooBoo. Still, the end result of every story being "Your Baby Could Die" gets tiresome...

Anyway, to bed I go! Peace, Love, and Pixie Stix!

Progress Bar:
Sunday Mystery Sampler - only have the black to finish bordering :)
Peanut's - ~24%? (about to start the bottom Bunny and block )
BooBoo's - not started
Crochet blanket for JJ - half done. Still playing with Grape Fizz loom blanket :)
Games - Haven't really started anything new and don't know what I'm working on next... Probably will be after the wedding though

No comments:

Post a Comment