Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I Hate Political Ads

It's been two months since my last post. It's not that I haven't had life that has gone on, and it's not that there hasn't been anything to talk about. It hasn't even been being so busy with the Peanut and the BooBoo, or gaming, or all my projects, though those have been factors. Here's my confession - I just haven't felt like writing that much lately.

A whole bunch of stressers descended on my life at once - some good, some not-as-positive - my grandmother has moved to town and now is trying to pressure my little family to move closer (we live on the other end of town), the pet I had growing up passed away, BooBoo's first birthday is coming (to party or not to party?), my husband got a raise, the continual loathing of debt and the interest that seems intentionally calculated so that a young family (or even people who just made the financial error of answering a credit card application) will never escape completely... Despite all this, or maybe because of it, I have been researching very carefully the candidates for the upcoming elections. Quite frankly, what I'm finding is causing much sadness and dismay in my heart.

I am an Independent voter - not a Democrat, not a Republican. I think it is irresponsible furthermore to just blindly vote along party lines. Furthermore, I am a female voter who believes that "guns don't kill people, people who pull a gun's trigger while pointing it at another person kill people", that gender and sexuality are on a spectrum, have daughters, and have survived mental, physical, and sexual abuse. This is not all I am, but they are parts that make up who I have become and my belief system. I don't believe people are innately evil, but that there are people who do great evil. I believe in the goodness of God, and that there is a divine plan for my life with the details hidden from me. I also believe the choices I make has a bearing on the path that plan, and that the multiple beings of God include feminine aspects - I am who and what I am and to put myself in a "box" insults that.

So Republicans - don't tell me that a teenager who is assaulted while on a date was "asking for it" if her dress bares her shoulders (or even her breasts or rides high on her legs), don't tell me if someone does something to or with a woman that could cause pregnancy that it's all her fault and there's nothing she can do, don't tell me that your religion trumps her rights.
As for the Democrats - don't assume that because I believe in a woman's right to choose and that I think that public breastfeeding and healthcare for everyone means I'm all for shoving GLBT rights in everyone's face and for allowing illegal immigrants the freedom to not pay taxes or stay without going through the proper procedures - they're there for a reason.

I think the true issues are being lost behind religious fervor (especially abortion and 'what to do about' citizens who love people who are the same sex), gun control, and . While those fly up, it smokescreens "how to do the best to take care of everyone", "do I represent the people who live in our state (not just those who voted for me)", "what are we doing about public education and why isn't what we're doing working", and other such issues. Our parties are so divided, and our system is so broken... And yet all the political ads can talk about is the cupcake with frosting instead of the chicken and green beans while trying to throw mud pies at the other candidate...

Lol... my husband just brought a shirt be bought me - "Lawful good: Governments should be afraid of their people." Maybe we as a country should remember that... we're a democratic system, we vote for our representation, and we have the right to tell the government we think they're doing a bad job and aren't really representing us. I don't know if it'll happen, or whether we're just going to keep hating and keep separating, but something's got to give.

Progress Bar:
Sunday Mystery Sampler - nothing new... only have the black to finish bordering :)
Peanut's - ~25%? (about to start the bottom Bunny after finishing the border of the block)
BooBoo's - not started (waiting to be done with Peanut's)
Crochet blankets - need to stuff and assemble the Loom Dragon, still trying the fancy scarf pattern (had to frog it *faux glare at Peanut*) and enjoying crocheting more baby blankets. Still no new Moms by Design site yet... debating between Etsy and Ebay?
Games - have been playing Lightning Returns and Beautiful Katamari on Xbox360, Enchanted Arms on hold since doing Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon so can return to Sister-in-Law... enjoying the break of having multiplayer with my husband after the kids are abed

No comments:

Post a Comment